Sunday, November 9, 2008

Just Call Me Sparrow

I have only a few moments to write this morning, but have had this song echoing through me and I must respond.

Why do I feel discouraged? Why do the shadows come?
And why does my heart feel lonely and long for Heaven untold?

When Jesus is my portion, a constant friend is He.
His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
His eye is on the sparrow! And I know He watches me!

So I sing because I'm happy!!
And I sing because I'm free!!
His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.

So I sing because I'm HAPPY!!
And I sing because I'm FREE!!
His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches...
and I know He watches....
and I KNOW He watches...
ME.

So, Lord, I know that you are with me, that you have never left me. That while I sat, crushed and trapped, in that car, you sat not even beside me, but wrapped around me.

I know that, while I was confused, you were steady and true.

I know that, while I cried, you cried too, even as you dried my tears.

I know that, while I felt fear, you spoke of your everlasting love, directly to my heart.

I know that, while the EMTS and doctors did their work, you guided their hands and hearts and minds.

Iknow that, while my family worried and prayed, you listened and responded to the cries of their hearts.

I know that, just like with the sparrow, your eye never left me. Not one minute. Not during one second of my discouragement. Not when the shadows seemed to surround me. Not when I cried out with the loneliness of one who feels broken. Not when I forgot that Jesus is my portion. Not when I angrily rejected your friendship.

Your eye never left me.

So I write, because I'm happy.
And I write, because I'm free.
And just like the sparrow, I will always be comforted to know
that your love is ever watching me.